As a business owner, you have many responsibilities to manage daily. Whether you are working directly with clients, managing employees, or networking to grow your business, there is always the possibility that IT issues will take up some of your valuable time and energy. Unfortunately, because you are busy, many of the issues will go undetected and become much bigger problems down the road.
While IT problems can happen at any time, they often occur due to common mistakes that many businesses make when it comes to their IT systems and infrastructure. In this article, we will discuss the top 4 IT mistakes that businesses commonly make and how they can be avoided.
The Biggest IT Mistakes
Neglecting Regular Maintenance And Updates
One of the biggest mistakes business owners make is neglecting regular maintenance and updates for their computers and systems. Even when they click the update now button on their computers, they don’t have systems in place to make sure their staff is doing the same.
Oftentimes, computer and software updates are patches for cyber security threats. Not updating these could put your company at risk of a cyber attack.
Sometimes the updates make the computer or program run more efficiently. Have you ever got the spinning wheel of death right in the middle of a big project? Chances are you skipped an update.
Failing To Secure Sensitive Data Against Cyberthreats
We see this in so many different ways.
- Failure to have and implement a strong password policy
- Failure to secure employee devices
- The use of free email services like Gmail and Yahoo
- Failure to protect your Wifi password
Relying too heavily on manual processes
Your time is precious. If you want your business to run efficiently, you must have efficient processes in place. When people first start a business, manual processes may be okay, but as you grow, it’s important to take advantage of the tools at hand. Some simple examples:
- Creating keyboard shortcuts that all you to do something with just a click of one button
- Automatic and monitored backups
- Having browsers load with the pages you need daily
- Establishing a process that will deny access to employees you have to let go
Having an automated process can save you money and time even when you are a solopreneur. Imagine the difference it can make when you have 5, 10, or 100 employees.
Not Budgeting For IT Expenses.
Budgeting for IT expenses may not be a lot of fun. But if you don’t have an IT department that is helping you maintain your systems, it is incredibly important. People underestimate the loss they will experience if their systems are down and they cannot work. Don’t let that be because you have not budgeted.
One of the reasons that business owners love working with BL Technical is that we keep them informed about their needs. We catch small issues before they become big ones and guide you in creating a budget that meets your needs.
How To Avoid These IT Mistakes
To avoid these common IT mistakes, businesses should:
- Invest in regular IT maintenance and support from trained professionals. Computers, printers, VOIP phones, and Wifi are all integral parts of your business. Not having a dedicated person to make sure they remain up and running is a dangerous risk to take. Our outsourced IT services save our clients time, money, and more headaches than they can count.
- Be proactive in securing their data and systems against cyber attacks by using the latest security tools and techniques, such as data encryption and two-factor authentication. Our team can help you create the protocols that keep your business running smoothly and effectively.
- Develop efficient IT processes that minimize manual tasks and reduce the need for human error. A good conversation with our team may unveil areas of improvement. If you have a need we cannot meet, we have a network of professionals we can refer you to. Our goal is to make your business run more efficiently and effectively.
- And finally, businesses must always allocate sufficient funds for IT expenses like software licenses, hardware upgrades, and IT support services. But where do you even start? Our team can help you uncover the expenses that lie ahead. We want to avoid surprise costs as much as you do
If you are a business owner dealing with IT issues regularly, heed this advice to help you avoid the most common IT mistakes that many businesses make. With the right planning and investment in IT, you can minimize IT problems and keep your business running smoothly.